Contact

Follow

  • Instagram - Black Circle
  • Black Twitter Icon
  • facebook

©2016 by Perfect Petz and Polish.

Archive

Please reload

Tags

Please reload

Easter is coming.....

April 7, 2019

Easter dangers for dogs.... be safe....

 

Easter eggs

 

Chocolate contains a chemical called ‘theobromine’, which is toxic to dogs.

Even small amounts of the stuff can cause convulsions, heart problems, hyperexcitability and fits.

The darker the chocolate, the more potent the level of theobromine, and the more poisonous it is – and giving any type of chocolate to dogs should be avoided.

Call your vet if you dogs eats any more than 20 mg/kg of theobromine – that’s equivalent to 3.5 g/kg of plain or dark chocolate and 14 g/kg milk chocolate.

White chocolate does not contain enough theobromine to cause toxicity, but it can be fatty and pose a potential risk of pancreatitis. 

 

Hot cross buns

 

Hot cross buns contain dried fruit, such as currants, sultanas and raisins – and all of these are toxic to dogs.

If your dog eats even a small quantity of these dried fruits (and grapes), they can suffer severe kidney failure which may be fatal.

Scientists don’t fully understand what it is in raisins, grapes and sultanas that makes them toxic to dogs. Some pets have ingested large quantities and felt no effects, but others – including large breeds - have died after eating just a few raisins.

Sharing just a little bit with your dog isn’t worth the risk of losing your best friend – avoid heartache by keeping them away from hot cross buns altogether.

 

Spring bulbs

 

Easter is the perfect time of year to give a gift of spring flowers and bulbs, but make sure you keep them well out of reach of your dog – particularly if they like to chew or dig in the garden.

Daffodils are poisonous to dogs if they eat the bulbs or flowers, or drink water from a vase with daffodils in.

They can give your dog an upset stomach, make them vomit, and make them very sleepy and wobbly. A dog that’s been poisoned by daffodils might also have fits.

Tulips can irritate your dog’s mouth and gastrointestinal tract. Normally they will only experience drooling, being sick and diarrhoea, but heart problems and difficulty breathing are also signs of tulip poisoning.

Other plants, flowers, fruit and vegetables listed below are poisonous to dogs. Those in bold are potentially fatal, so please take care to avoid these:

 

Apples (pips) Apricots (kernel) Azalea Bluebells Buttercups Cyclamen (root) Daffodils/narcissus (blubs) Elderberry Foxglove (leaves and seeds) Hyacinth (bulbs) Ivy (whole plant) Lupin (leaves, seeds) Onion (causes anaemia) Peach (stones and leaves) Rhododendron Rhubarb (leaves) Sweetpea (stem) Tulips Wild cherry tree (twigs and foliage) Yew (berries and foliage)

 

 

 

Please reload

Recent Posts

November 1, 2019

October 20, 2019

Please reload